You are hereForums / FJET / Public / Incoming Fukui Jets 2012

Incoming Fukui Jets 2012

By erineltawil - Posted on 13 June 2012

Hello current Fukui Jets!
I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this, but I wanted to introduce myself to you all. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place!

My name is Erin El-Tawil, and I just received my placement in Fukui a few days ago. I recently graduated this December with a degree in Art Education. I have been working since then in Houston Texas as a private art instructor and substitute teacher. I'm a born and raised Texan, so I am a little worried about possibly driving in snow. EEP! But, I am so excited to be placed in Fukui because there seems to be a great JET community and I love that its so close to Kyoto.
I'm an outdoorsy person, so I enjoy hiking and camping goodness. I'm also an archery instructor here in the states. I am dying to try some kyudo! Other than that my interests are pretty basic, art, reading, writing, music... general stuff.

I look forward to meeting you all in person at the end of the summer!

Tags

Hi Erin,

Thanks for starting this thread, the FJET Forum is THE place for newbies to introduce themselves. Nice to (virtually) meet ya. My name is David Son and I'm going to be a 2nd year JET this summer; I'm also one of the two FJET Presidents.

We're actually losing a Texan this summer so it'll be good to have one come in. If you love the outdoors you've come to the right place. FJET plans a Fuji Trip every August for the newcomers and there are several other hiking/camping events throughout the year. Hiking when the leaves change color in the fall and during cherry blossom season is one of the best experiences you can have in Japan. If you like Kyudo hopefully your school might have a club, mine does and it's nationally ranked. There are also two ALTs in southern Fukui who do Kyudo, Ryan and Lauren.

We're all looking forward to seeing you in August, remember if you have any questions or concerns just let us know. Enjoy your last few weeks in the States!

Hi Erin,

Look forward to meeting you - I'm Stuart
If you have facebook, you can also check out the FJET facebook page. Good way to meet people and loads of handy links and pics are posted there

Hi Erin! Welcome!
Fukui is a great place to be an outdoorsy person. We have an outdoor club, and besides that, there are so many trails and campgrounds to explore around here that it's a bit overwhelming. As for Kyuudo, the prefectural budokan will be starting its next round of classes in September. That's in the northern part of Fukui to be fair, but even if you're placed in the south, there's bound to be opportunities there too! Fukui is a happenin' place with something, or a lot of things, for everyone. Looking forward to meeting you in person soon!

~*Mere

P.S. I'm a 4th year JET living in Maruoka. Come and see the famous castle here sometime!

thanks for all the replies ya'll, I really appreciate it.

I'm super stoked for Mount Fuji! You can definitely count me in. It's one of the things that I'm looking forward to doing most while living in Japan, and now I get to do it in my first month there.
I have a countdown running on my computer. 45 more days!

EDIT: the grammar check said "ya'll" wasn't correct, but it didn't catch many of my other REAL contraction mistakes. Stupid computer, you have it backwards!

Howdy, Erin!
Welcome. It's nice to see a fellow Texan is headed to Fukui. I'm interested to hear what part of the state you are from. Unfortunately, we won't be able to meet in person when you arrive. I'm going back to live in Dallas this summer.
I also was intimidated at first by the idea of driving in snow. But you'd be amazed how quickly you adapt! Plus, if you have been living in Houston, you already have a pretty good gauge on the intensity of the summer's humidity here!
If you'd like advice from a fellow Texan on what to bring and/or prepare, feel free to PM me on Facebook!

Nice meetin' ya!

Chrys

Hey Erin, glad to have you with us! :D

I'm Shaun, from Canada, also going into my 2nd year in Fukui. You're gonna love it here :)

Also, glad to see people using these forums! They've been a little lonely recently, as you may have noticed if you checked the archives.

I know there have to be more incoming Fukui JETs just lurking here. Announce yourselves! ;-)

Hi Everyone!

My name is Yolanda Crystal Felix, but I actually go by my middle name (see username :) ). And I'll be joining you all in Fukui! I actually had requested it and am so happy that the Fukui Jet community seems to be on it!

I am from San Diego, California or Chula Vista to be exact (same thing!). I graduated from San Diego State University with a degree in Sociology and I've been both volunteering with at risk teens and working in after school programs. I am excited and of course a little nervous to teach English to Japanese students! Also, being from southwest San Diego, I have never experienced living with seasons, let's see how me and snow (or cold for that matter) get along!

Let's see, like Erin (hello!) I am outdoorsy I love to hike, kayak and go camping. I am very into music, I love going to concerts! And I am trying to figure out how to bring the guitar along (for practice because let me tell you, I am not very good) As I go into this experience I look forward to assimilating into the Japanese culture and I hope to try everything at least once! Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to introduce myself and I look forward to meeting you all very soon! :D

Hello Crystal!

It seems we have quite a few people from California this year; I don't know how you found out about Fukui since not many Japanese know about it but it's definitely a hidden gem.

If you're not too picky about guitars you can buy one here from a second-hand store. There are many around and prices are pretty reasonable. I have one too but I'm pretty rubbish. Maybe you can show off your stuff at our annual FJET Talent Show?

Looking forward to meeting you when you get here. Enjoy your last couple weeks in the States.

Hi Crystal,

Welcome!
In regards to the guitar situation.. I brought mine from home and it was no problem. I just had it sent ahead when I arrived in Tokyo for orientation and they treated it very nicely (not like those milkshake // FedEx commercials).
You could also just get one in a secondhand shop but if you're attached to yours like I was, it's not a problem.

Hope you make the most of life here! -- Fukui is a beautiful, beautiful place.

~ Nadia

Hi Erin and everyone!

My name is Brett and will be joining the Fukui crew in Ono City (Ono Higashi HS)! I'm from Minnesota, so I'm ready for whatever "winter" they've got in the region. I was pretty excited when I found out that Ono is encircled by mountains - it looks like a prime place for adventure. I'm happy to see that a lot of people in the area are outdoorsy, I'll be looking for some good hiking routes and peaks to reach.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.